Liver Detox & Alcohol | Natural Health Blog

Date: 05/27/2007    Written by: Jon Barron

Alcohol and the Liver Detox

Recently I've received several questions from people asking if there are there any special considerations or, in fact, would it just be a waste of time for someone who is a heavy drinker who wants to do the liver cleanse. Are there any special precautions or would it be a waste of time? And what happens if they start drinking again right after the detox is done -- or if they drink during the detox?

Interesting questions, these.

In fact, there are no particular cautions other than highly recommending the gallstone softening program before doing the detox. Just be aware the detox reaction may be stronger -- more headaches, etc.. As to being a waste of time, not at all. In fact, it's even more important. The detox can help repair much of the damage that has been inflicted on the liver by heavy drinking. Obviously, going back to drinking after the detox is completed starts the damage again -- but from a "higher" point.

As to drinking during the detox. If someone can't refrain from drinking during the detox, they probably don't have enough self-control to do the detox in the first place. In which case, regular use of a milk thistle supplement will help to deflect some of the damage. In fact for regular drinkers, a highly recommend protocol to use on a daily basis would include:

• A milk thistle supplement.
  • Alpha lipoic acid(or R-lipoic acid), proteolytic enzymes, and Omega-3 fatty acids to reduce liver inflammation.
  • Vitamin (particularly the B vitamins), mineral, and trace mineral supplementation to replace those lost from regular consumption of alcohol.
  • A good full spectrum antioxidant -- especially for the water soluble antioxidants which are lost because of the drinking.
  • And drink lots of clean water during the day. Alcohol dehydrates the body -- big time.

Comments

Submitted by Ada Wakeman on
    November 27, 2007 - 6:01am

Well... About the way that alcohol affects the liver, i want to tell you that it really is a disaster. My brother was addicted to alcohol and he almost finished his liver...in the end, we talked and he went to a dehab centre drug rehab program and he finally got rid of his bad habit...but the consequences were already big...so he has to stay on diet for the rest of his life

Submitted by Drug Rehab centers on
    May 22, 2008 - 5:46pm

Many people in the world are addicted to drugs. Some people don’t know about the harmful disorders that can be caused by the use of drugs/alcohol. There is great need for providing free education to people about the harms that can be caused by the illegal use of drugs or alcohol.

Submitted by elaine on
    December 21, 2009 - 3:37am

I have been diagnosed with a fatty liver, I am not a drinker of alcohol, I have never smoked, done drugs, the dr. was shocked and didn't know why I even had it. I personally think that thruout the years foods like potatoe chips, etc., (which I "really" enjoy) has something to do with it. But, I didn't know we all have some fatty liver, just not an extensive amount like I guess I have. I have been taking milk thistle, and essential liver herbs, it has been a year now, and I go every 6 mo. to see the dr. I also take flax seed oil, and b-complex, will any of this help or not? thanks

Submitted by inpatient treatment on
    May 27, 2009 - 5:00am

Actually natural supplements and water would play a big part for conditioning the liver during detox process. It is highly advisable for the patient not to drink alcohol before and even after the treatment, in order not to disrupt the process of cleansing the liver.

Submitted by john on
    May 12, 2008 - 1:03am

This is a comprehensive addiction portal focusing on topics of alcohol and drug abuse. http://www.alcoholaddiction.org

Submitted by jonbarron on
    December 7, 2009 - 4:53am

Teo:

The links have been repaired in the above blog, which will take you to the appropriate areas of our detox center.

Submitted by Mary on
    May 30, 2007 - 3:43pm

Hi I just got over being on heavy narcotics with the help of AA. I am detoxing right now from alcohol and I want to thank you for the tips on detoxing with alchohol cause the shakes are no fun. Thank u, Mary

Submitted by teo on
    December 5, 2009 - 6:22am

please give some more information on detoxification of liver. Nothing is clear from the above information

Submitted by Tony Isaacs on
    May 29, 2007 - 7:57pm

Good info, Jon. Milk Thistle has long been one of my favorites after reading years ago that it was approved by the German E Commission as being effective at both protecting and regenerating the liver.
    I would also add selenium (and I do) since selenium, alpha lipoic acid and milk thistle (silymarin) were the three anti-oxidants used in the Berkson Clinical Study where only those three anti-oxidants. along with healthy changes in lifestyle and diet, helped rebuild and normal the liver functions of four women who had were facing either transplants or horrible chemo due to advanced Hepatitis-C.
    Since I seem to have a fondness for an occasional partaking of a fermented and distilled product based on the blue agave cactus :- ), I follow most of the advice you gave and also add the selenium.
    Live long, live healthy, live happy!

Submitted by Sanjay P on
    January 24, 2012 - 6:47pm

I drank alcohol and smoked for almost 15 years without break,every single day.Now i have stopped drinking and smoking completely.Please suggest me how to detox my liver and body from the abuse.Please tell me some supplements and natural remedy.
    Thanks & Regards

Submitted by BaselineFoundation on
    January 25, 2012 - 1:41pm

Hi Sanjay,

Congratulations on wanting to do a detox!  You can find everything you need at our online Detox Program.  I also recommend to download Jon's abridged free book, or buy the hardback because it explains the detox in more detail about how and why it works.

Sandy

Submitted by Leonarta on
    January 8, 2013 - 10:36pm

I have a gamma gt of 224 when the normal should be around 70.I drank alcohol 2 days before the checkup so that might have been the reason for the high number. I have been exercising,drinking juices,green tea and lots of water to try and detoxify my liver. I have however still consume alcohol although i limit myself to 2 standard drinks per session(I dont drink everyday) when in the past I would drink far more. Would it actually help the detox process if I just have 1-2 glasses of wine?

Submitted by BaselineFoundation on
    January 9, 2013 - 2:41pm

Gamma GT stands for gamma-glutamyltransferase, a liver enzyme measured in the blood that is elevated through excessive alcohol consumption.The high numbers you experienced recently are likely to be associated with reduced liver function as the result of previous higher levels of alcohol consumption, which have rendered your liver less able to process even moderate levels of alcohol consumption today. Drinking more alcohol while detoxing is unlikely to be beneficial to the process.

Submitted by Sara on
    January 26, 2013 - 4:26pm

I am going through a custody battle and have been a big drinker in the past. How can I stop urine samples from being high in alcohol content if I still have a few drinks of a night?

Submitted by Catherine cook on
    October 17, 2014 - 10:22am
    Brooklyn park , Maryland

I have no gall bladder, I am a moderate drinker, and I am allergic to ALL fruits and vegetables, I have also been told by the dr I have fat growing on my liver. Is there a cleanse right for me?