False promises occur all the time in the health industry. Too often, writers on health make health claims that have no substance in reality. This is true not only of alternative health writers, but of medical doctors as well. As for the mainstream media, they have no opinions of their own that they are willing to express, and for the most part, just print what the medical community tells them to anyway, so what they write can hardly count.
Jon Barron discusess false promises and absolutes such as:
- Use these supplements and you won't get cancer
- Follow this diet and you will be cured of diabetes -- guaranteed
- Conventional treatment for cancer is the only treatment that works
- Detoxing is snake oil
- Chemotherapy cures cancer
- If you smoke cigarettes, you die