A new study has just hit the news. According to the results of an Argentinian study released just hours ago, “the levels of thimerosal [in childhood vaccinations] don’t go very high and they go down right away. By the time it’s time for the next dose of vaccine, the levels are right back to where they were at the beginning.” The study found that the half-life of ethyl mercury in the blood — the time it takes for the body to get rid of half the mercury, and then another half, and so on — was 3.7 days. That’s significantly less than the half-life of methyl mercury, the kind found in fish, at 44 days. Bottom line: according to the study’s authors, the study showed that the controversial mercury-containing preservative thimerosal is rapidly excreted from babies’ bodies and can’t build up to toxic levels.
Nonsense! The data showed no such thing!
According to the study’s methodology, the infants in the study were put into three age groups and their blood-mercury levels were tested both before and after vaccinations were given to newborns, and at their two- and six-month checkups.
Excuse me, medical community, let’s use our brains here for a moment — assuming they haven’t been damaged by exposure to mercury.
Just because blood levels of mercury drop doesn’t necessarily mean that the mercury has been excreted from the body — only that it has left the bloodstream. Those are two very different conclusions. Since the study didn’t monitor urine levels of mercury, there’s no way to tell if it left the body. In fact, experience tells us that mercury does not easily leave the body, that it in fact “electrically binds” with soft tissue, bones, and even brain matter. If anything, the study should potentially raise alarm bells — indicting that ethyl mercury binds with cellular tissue and locks into the body far faster than methyl mercury. Without the urine testing, there’s no way to know.
- Shame on the doctors for using such faulty logic to reach their conclusions.
- Shame on the vaunted peer review process for allowing such blatantly faulty logic to go unnoticed.
- Shame on Forbes, Associated Press, Science Daily, and the more than 200 other news outlets that have already published the results of the study without challenging the absurdity of its logic. Hey, no medical knowledge is required to figure this out — just simple logical. You’re supposed to be reporters — not shills.
Bottom line: Mercury does not easily “metabolize” and pass out of the body. It remains for years and years locked to body tissue. If you want to get rid of it, you have to chelate it out. Make no mistake, this study has not proven thimerosal safe. To be sure, some study may ultimately prove that injecting infants with the second most toxic metal known to man (just behind plutonium) to be safe, but this study didn’t do it — not even one little bit.
PS: The Baseline of Health Newsletter coming out on 2/4/08 deals with the related issue of methyl mercury in fish.
After reading this article, I am really concerned about my health. I have several root canals and one filling and also a partial that has medal in it. What are my other alternatives except to have them pulled? If I have them pulled, how do I eat, since I am a raw vegan? Help!! I believe what you say about mercury. I have read other articles on the internet that say the same thing you do.
Could you please give me some advice? I really want to be healthy. That is why I went to the raw vegan life style 10 months ago. I will do whatever I have to do to be healthy no matter how complicated it is.
As it says in the blog,
As it says in the blog, metals do not easily "metabolize" and pass out of the body. They remain for years and years locked to body tissue. If you want to get rid of them, you have to chelate them out. http://www.jonbarron.org/detox/barron-report-heavy-metal-cleanse-herbal